Saturday 12 April 2014

Forgetfulness - A sign of genious?

Forgetful – adjective: apt to forget, absent minded – in other words…the mind is absent!
At least I feel like mine is. I cannot seem to retain things in my brain that I am supposed to remember. Especially things that I am supposed to actually do.
Walking into another room in the house to do something or get something and promptly forgetting it as soon as I’ve walked through the door is a regular occurrence. I end up just standing in the doorway for ages, trying to prompt myself to remember what it was. Inevitably, it doesn't come to me, I have a swear, then leave the room. 
Is it age? I am on the wrong side of middle age after all so maybe that’s it. Or is just part of our genetics, because I know I’m not the only one who has this problem and not all of these people I know are ‘mature’.
This lack of ability to remember things has resulted in my becoming an endless list maker. I have not gotten to the stage of making lists to remember I’ve made a list but I don’t think that’s far off.  Piles of paper scraps litter the house. Lists for shopping, lists for house chores, lists with meal plans for the week, lists of projects and orders to do and to finish, lists of where I am supposed to be that week - the list is endless...(sorry couldn’t resist that one)
Tired of having to gather up all these bits of paper every so often to get them in the recycling, I tried to compile my lists on the computer, all typed in with headings and columns and everything – that didn’t work – I forgot to look at them!
The latest canvas project I’ve just finished has reminded me of how bad I am. I really did mean to take photographs of this work as it progressed from start to finish but before I had even finished that first coat of paint, I had forgotten what I had reminded myself to do. There’s no hope for me is there?
I have now resorted to sticking a piece of paper on the shelf edge above where I work, which says… “Rememeber to take the photos you forgetful old bat”

I just need to remember to look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read any comments and feedback!