Wednesday 26 February 2014

Wax On Wax Off

I have some pots of Creative Expressions gilding wax. They have been stored in a box for quite some time with their lids on tight.
When I fished them out this week to use them - aarrrghh - all dried up!
I just ended up getting wax everywhere except on the project, trying to soften it with the warmth of my finger - I'm still picking bits of wax out from underneath my nail, ugh - all I learnt from that was, body heat does not soften wax.
So, I did what I always do when stuck with something - I googled it.
Google has become my 'bff' over the last couple of years, if I want the answer to a question, if I can't figure out how to do something...the cry goes up in this house...Google it!
And for the most part, I get the solution. However, on this occasion there were so many different remedies, I decided to go to Creative Expressions themselves.
I posted on their facebook page first and a very helpful lady did respond with a solution. Unfortunately, Creative Expressions never responded to my email :-(
Anyway, whilst I was waiting for someone to respond from FB/CE, I decided to try my own remedy.
I took myself off to good ol' Wilkos - who sell everything - and bought some Turps Substitute. I poured a tiny amount into one of the pots, put the lid back on and left it for a while.
When I came back to it - presto - nice soft wax and I was able to finish my frame project - photo to follow soon.
I suspect most seasoned crafters already know that you can use this stuff on dried out wax but just thought I would share it for anyone who isn't in the know.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read any comments and feedback!